Monday, July 11, 2011

The Final Post

When Sam and I arrived left Athens we had 10 days left of the trip. In that 10 days, we slept in a train station, two airports, a bus station and a park.

Lets just say Rome was a great place; " you should see the Colosseum Spaniard". Just like in gladiator it is amazing that it is standing in such great shape and just an amazing feat today nevermind 2,000 years ago. I went to the Vatican, but spending 56 Euro as everyone will attest was a waste of money because the entrance fee to the Vatican doesn't exist as I came to find out and the lines I was promised that I wouldn't have to wait in, I did. The Vatican was ok for me, but the tour was worth it to know specifics about what exactly happened in different parts of the City.

After the Vatican, Sam and I went to the airport in Rome for the night for we had an early flight to Madrid.

We went to Spain for one reason: to run with the bulls and after meeting up with our fellow Australearner Jeff and his roommate Mikey we get off the bus in Pamplona, get the all white pants, scarf, and satchel de booze. We were ready for a night out. The night out literally means night out as we slept in a park and got kicked out (literally) of the bus station and into another park for a total of about 2 hours of sleep for all of us. At 6am we were all up ready for the running. Sam although he will say he got stuck with the bags, forgot that about a month prior said he was not running and once he said that, I knew we had a secure place for our bags and I was running regardless. At the end Jeff, Mikey, and myself where the three sprinters and we successfully ran with the bulls and survived to tell the tale. After the running Sam and I had a 5 hour wait for our bus back to Madrid, and once back we showered up and fell asleep as we knew our trip was coming to an end.

Our last of of the trip we realized we should have spent more time in Spain as it seems to be a very nice country, but broke, and tired as we were; we were ready to call it a trip and make our way back.

To conclude the adventure, we traveled around 12,000 miles over 47 days. Went to 11 countries and met a lot of interesting people some good some bad. Either way it was a great trip, but for the first time in my traveling life I was completely ready to go home, which has never happened before. I was able to do two things which I have wanted to do for years; cliff diving and running with the bulls( concussion and a slightly sore knee). I would not have done the trip any differently, we both heard too many stories of people saying they wish they did it after school, and that was a major driving force for the trip as we didn't want that to happen to us. Having said that, I asked a lot of people for years now about where should I go what should I see, and I know I was not able to see many of the places you all recommended, but I did try.

I would love to hear from all of you that have been following the blog, I am surprised about how many people said they are following. any inputs, questions, places I should head to next. Ireland and Northern UK will more than likely be my next trip to Europe.

Until then this is Michael and Sam from the USA, it was a great trip and Thank you Sam for coming with me.

Autobots Out.

1 comment:

  1. I'll go to ireland with you. aerlingus from boston, do it do it!

    ReplyDelete